I was recently contacted by Sebastien Chaigneau (The North Face) to be involved in a project to celebrate the D-Day landings in Normandy, June 6th 1944.
2014 is the 70th anniversary!
Representing 7 important nations from the D-Day landings, 7-ultra runners will join 7-soldiers from prestigious military academies:
- The United States Military Academy West Point
- The French Special Military School of Saint-Cyr
- The British Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- The Canadien Royal Military College Saint-Jean
- The officer of the Army School in Dresden
14-athletes will run 100-miles together and will stop at ‘check-points’ that will not only allow some downtime but will also allow an opportunity to commemorate past events.
This ‘Ultra-Trail’ will use a majority of paths and trails with respect of the environment and natural spaces.
“Honoured to be named as one of 7 international runners (along with 7 military runners) running together for 100 miles along the landing beaches/commemoration sites of France in June to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the D Day landings that changed the name of our game. Change your game by writing your own rules!” Jason Loutitt
The runners (tbc)
- CANADA = Jason LOUTITT
- USA = Dian Van DEREN
- FRANCE = Bertrand COLLOMB PATTON
- GERMANY = Philip REITER and Thomas WAGNER
- POLAND = Natalia SIERANT
- UNITED KINDOM =
- BELGIUM =
Starting at 0400hrs on Thursday June 12th at Utah Beach, the 14-runners will progress along the 100-mile route with the objective to finish at the ‘Memorial’ in Caen at 1400hrs Friday June 13th.
It’s an incredible opportunity
This is an incredible opportunity for a UK ultra runner to be involved in a moment in history.
IS THIS RUNNER YOU?
If you think it is, please email email@example.com explaining why you think you should be considered and please provide a running CV.
IMPORTANT: A UK RUNNER HAS NOW BEEN CHOSEN. IF YOU’D LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED AS A RESERVE, PLEASE FORWARD DETAILS AS REQUESTED.
- You must be able to run 100-miles within 32-hours, including breaks within the context of this D-Day project.
- You must be available ideally June 11th – June 14th tbc.
- All expenses will be covered
- Deadline for application – January 22nd.
This event will be open to the public and the media. You will be representing your country in a key moment in history. Please, only email if you are serious and committed.
I am able to provide a PDF document that outlines the whole experience with more specific details should you require it.