The Apple iPhone (amongst other smart phones) has become the regular accessory for many runners. Lets face it, it has a great camera, video and a multitude of ‘Apps’ that will allow us to track, plot, follow and record our runs if required. When you add to that you can listen to music and even make a call with it, one has to admit that it is almost the ultimate accessory for your daily run.
Many races now insist that a phone is part of the compulsory equipment that you take when racing, so, do you really want to take a phone that costs in the region of £500/600 out on the trails, particularly when it could be wet, cold, muddy or even worse, you could drop and break it.
Step in lifeproof.com
Other models of protective case have been available for some time, but the Lifeproof model seems to have taken the ‘case’ one step ahead!
It’s not as bulky as others on the market, which is a great plus. To give you confidence to go everywhere with your LifeProof case they water test each and every case they make. Not only that, after the test an independent agent performs additional testing and even puts randomly selected cases through a second water test. You have a guarantee then when you purchase a case it has been tested. In addition to this, they have a range of accessories and replacement parts to ensure your case lasts the life of the phone and beyond.
Each case has IP-68, the most rigorous classification in this specification. The first characteristic number describes protection from solid foreign objects. An enclosure with a characteristic number of 6 can withstand exposure to circulating talcum powder for 8 hours with no dust ingress after that period. The second characteristic number describes protection against water. An enclosure with a characteristic number of 8 exceeds all other water protection levels and is specified by the manufacturer. For LifeProof, number 8 signifies LifeProof cases will withstand immersion in water to a depth of 2 meters / 6.6 feet for 30 minutes.
MIL STD 810F-516 standard requires that the item can physically and functionally withstand the relatively infrequent, non-repetitive shocks encountered in handling, transportation, and service environments.
Perfect protection against WATER, DIRT, SNOW and SHOCK a Lifeproof Case may very well be that perfect accessory for your daily companion on the trails and when racing. Have to say, I love mine and my phone has been out in all conditions.
Specs for IPhone 5
- Dimensions:5.4” x 2.6” x 0.5” / 137.5 mm x 67.1 mm x 12.2 mm*
- Weight:1.05 oz / 29.8 g
- Water Proof:Fully submergible to 6.6’ / 2 m for 30 minutes
- Dirt Proof:Sealed from dirt & dust particles – meets or exceeds IP-68 IngressProtection Rating
- Snow Proof:Sealed from snow & ice – meets or exceeds IP-68 Ingress Protection Rating
- Shock Proof:Withstands drops from 6.6’ / 2 m – meets or exceeds MIL STD 810F-516
A range of accessories are also available so that you can maximise your user experience:
Armband, Bike Mount, Life Jacket, Suction Cup Mount and Belt Clip view HERE
- 1 CrystalClear AR-coated optical-glass lens
- 2 Nonstick cover never collects dirt or lint
- 3 Waterproof seals on all ports and openings
- 4 Polycarbonate frame absorbs impacts
- 5 Waterproof ports on all microphones and speakers
- 6 Scratch-resistant and waterproof screen protector
- 7 Shock-absorbing elastomeric inner-layer
Price from £50