Episode 28 of Talk Ultra has an interview with Geoff Roes who in the 2010 edition of Western States 100 set a new CR and became a star in the film, Unbreakable. We also have an interview with rising female star Emelie Forsberg. We discuss her incredible 2012 and what lies in store for 2013. In Talk Training we have the ‘Rockdoc’ telling us all about Kinesiology taping. We have A Year in the life of…, part 2 of our MDS special, the news, a blog, a Meltzer Moment and the up and coming races.
00:13:23 A year in the life of – Amanda Hyatt
003805 Blog – Jez Bragg has just completed the Teararoa in New Zealand. Catch up on his whole experience via his blog HERE
00:38:45 Talk Training with Paul Coker from Rocktape – website HERE
01:16:05 Back to Karl
01:20:16 Geoff Roes website here
Date of Birth:
April 14, 1976
Place of Birth:
Current Home town:
Juneau, AK (May-Aug) & Nederland, CO (Sept-April)
Primary Race Distance:
50k and up.
Other hobbies or sports:
Snowshoeing, XC skiing, Mountain Biking, Bike Touring, Cooking, Writing
What MHW/Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the trail?
Montrail Mountain Masochist, Mountain Hardwear Effusion Jacket, Mountain Hardwear Fluid Race Vest, Mountain Hardwear Way Too Cool tops.
How were you introduced to your sport?
Came to Ultrarunning on my own. It just sounded fun to try to run a 50k.
What inspires you?
I’m most inspired by getting out in the mountains and exploring new places.
What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Try to enjoy every run you go out on. If you’re not enjoying the running that your doing, try some new things until you are.
What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
Seeing friends, family, and other racers at the finish… and drinking a beer.
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I’m one of the lucky few in the sport whose training is my “real job.”
In 10 years I hope to be…
Getting as much satisfaction out of my life as I am now.
Living for Now. Happy and easy.
When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Have never, and likely will never sing karaoke
What music gets you fired up?
I don’t listen to music to get fired up. The music I do listen to tends to be music which has more of the opposite effect, keeping me calm and mellow, which I think is a lot more beneficial in ultrarunning, a sport that requires so much patience and ability to take things as they come.
- February 2012, Iditarod Trail Invitational – 1st place in foot division
- September 2011, UROC 100k – 1st place
- March 2011, Chuckanut 50k – 1st place, Course Record
- July 2010, Crow Pass Crossing – 1st place, Course Record
- June 2010, Western States 100 – 1st place, Course Record
- November 2009, Mountain Masochist 50 – 1st place, Course Record
- September 2009, Wasatch 100 – 1st place, Course Record
- February 2006, Little Su 50k– 1st place, First Ultramarathon
- Susitna 100
- Resurrection Pass 50
- Resurrection Pass 100
- Crow Pass Crossing
- Wasatch 100
- Mountain Masochist 50
- North Face Endurance Challenge 50 – Bear Mountain
- Western States 100
- Run Rabbit Run 50
- Chuckanut 50k
- DRTE 100
- UROC 100k
Geoff Roes results here
02:03:32 Emelie Forsberg website here
Member of Salomon International team and a devoted lover of the mountains. The best time is the time out in the mountains where the clock and the world outside doesn’t count. In the summertime I run in them and in winter time I go skiing. When I’m not in out in the mountains I do some studying.
Follow me here with projects, races and my lifestyle on my my way through the mountains!
- Winner of the world championship in the skyrace serie.
- Winner of Salomon trail tour Sweden.
- 2nd place at 3 Peaks UK
- 3rd place at Zegama Marathon Spain
- 1st place at Kilians Classic, France
- 1st place and new record at Dolomites Skyrace, Italy
- 1st place at Pikes Peak Marathon
- 2nd place at Trofeo KIMA, Italy
- 3rd place at Cavalls del vent, Spain
- 1st place at Kinabalu, Malaysia
02:33:32 Back to Karl
02:40:40 Meltzer Moment
02:46:06 MDS Special – Tobias Mews
03:00:08 Up & coming Races for the next two weeks